Jay Lake (jaylake) wrote,
Jay Lake

  • Location:
  • Mood:
  • Music:

[help] Deep thought required

Two questions have crossed my radar in the last day or so, neither of which I know the answer to.

tillyjane writes:
In the dishwasher or on the drainer, how come the plastic things still have lots of water beads after the glass and ceramic things are dry?
This must have something to do with the physics of water and surface slickness, but that's the best I can come up with.

frankwu writes:
If alliteration occurs when the first consonant of two successive words matches, is there a word for when the last consonant of a first word matches the first consonant of a second word, like "football league" or "vampire ritual" or "office supplies"? The matching consonants make the words really flow together, making the text more poetic, but I'm wondering if there's a name for that.

Tags: help, language, science
  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened